The Newsletter has returned! Thanks for your patience while we updated the setup to fit our brand standards. As always, if you have any feedback or suggestions, reach out to Jillian!
Congrats to Ryan for closing The Joint, an 8-store chain in Washington. Special thanks to Mollie for setting the demo!
Also closed this week:
Herbal Healing (12 months, CO, med only). Great work, Scott!
What a great first week with our two new hires, Matt and Rachel (scroll down to check out their New Hire Profiles!)
Alex and Glenn had a great start to the week visiting Harborside and getting their staff trained. They are set to go live 5/31.
We broke the $4.20 million mark for orders placed through the app, what a milestone!
Eli has been hard at work completing a case study on PPD vs. VBL, keep an eye out for the finished product!
The engineering team gained a new member this week, and is already diving in! Marc will be working with Larry and Jesse on front-end development.
We are growing! Take a look at our open positions and send any qualified candidates our way (start with an email introduction between the candidate and Jillian). Feel free to share the link on your social media - don’t forget that you get a referral bonus of $500!
Denver Team Members: A quick reminder to only use the conference room for multi person calls, quick calls that you can easily hop into a call booth if a group needs a room, and for internal meetings.
Julie is working hard on iPad optimization for kiosk mode, and is making progress on our branding project.
Kris is working on an awesome 'Help' page for Shop!
The entire dev team for busting ass to get Harborside onboarded!
Julie + Kris for going above and beyond this past week in their role
Larry for doing an amazing job finding a better alternative to embed Shop.
Alex, David + Glenn for handling Harborside with such patience and professionalism.
The new hires Matthew, Marc, and Rachel for diving in on their first week and learning quickly.
New Hire Profiles
Marc (Front-End Developer)
1. What was your previous job? My previous job was for a startup called Kickfurther where I worked as a full-stack web developer although I, for the love of god, could not convince anyone of what my actual role there was. Depending on who you asked, my role ranged from copy writer to graphic designer. I had a great time with the team and still keep in touch with most of them.
2. What is your favorite part about living in Colorado? First time I fell in love with Colorado I was fourteen years old hiking 14ers over the span of two weeks with 6 complete strangers. Weʼd camp together and carried everything we needed with us. The collective B.O. was incredibly potent but I was hooked on Colorado from that point on. Iʼm definitely an adventure junkie and living here gives me my fix. If itʼs a new experience, if itʼs challenging, if itʼs fun then Iʼm all in.
3. What do you like to do in your free time? Do you have any hobbies? So I have 3 very simple passions in life; music, technology and helping people. Most of the time Iʼm messing around with sound production gadgets or going to concerts and festivals but I try to focus on all of my hobbies equally.
4. What is one thing you would like your team to know about you? I actually used to street perform on the Pearl st. Mall in Boulder during college for spare cash. Iʼd make around $10/hour if I stayed out there long enough. Good times.
5. What are you looking forward to the most about working with Baker? Two things. Being part of something bigger than myself with an amazing team of strange, unique but cohesive individuals. And capitalizing seeing how successful we can become!
Matthew (Customer Success Manager)
1. What was your previous job? I was on the Customer Success team at a software company called Apto.
2. What is your favorite part about living in Colorado? I have taken advantage of the mountains, I have probably been to the Rocky National Park 20 times since moving here last April. My Dog, Rosie, and I go up there frequently. The weather was also an added benefit, I do not have any allergies, and have not been sick nearly as often as when I lived in Houston.
I also really enjoy that Cannabis is legal.
3. What do you like to do in your free time? Do you have any hobbies? I love to spend time with my Dog or to workout, so I'm either walking my dog or working out. Currently, those are my two main “hobby." A fun fact is that I happen to know a disgusting amount of Professional and Independent Wrestling trivia, I’m a Superfan.
4. What is one thing you would like your team to know about you?
Story Time! In the year 2007, I was a junior in High School, and like all juniors, I thought I was incredibly handsome, and I had to take the SATs. While I was taking the test my Mom said she was “cleaning” my room and found my ‘stash’. I had started smoking heavily that year. My stash was 2 grams of shitty Mexican brick weed, it was in these cool little baggies with Batman logos on it. My parents grounded me for 1 calendar year.
My Mom cried.
My Dad was raised very Catholic and up until recently believed the Marijuana was inherently evil. He no longer believes it’s evil, but he does not believe it has any benefit. When I told my Dad that I was interviewing with a “canna-tech” company, he was upset and confused. He thought the cannabis industry was this dirty, illegal, back alley, salacious industry. I sent him Baker’s website, and he started to do research about Baker. My Dad now sends me emails about Baker news that he has read. He thinks this is the coolest thing.
He was blown away by the professionalism and technology in the industry and is fascinated by it.
The day I signed my offer with Baker was special for two reasons, I was able to get a job doing something I'm passionate about...it was also the very same day I was grounded 10 years earlier. When my Parents called to congratulate me on this new job, I started laughing and my parents asked why, so I reminded them about 10 years earlier. My Dad got mad at me again. My Mom cried.
5. What are you looking forward to the most about working with Baker? I’m most looking forward to being able to contribute positively to the amazing environment of the company culture, working with people passionate about what they're doing, and learning as much as I can about the Cannabis industry. It's exciting to be a part of a team that is leading the cutting edge of this new industry, and setting an industry standard.
Rachel (Onboarding and Training Specialist)
1. What was your previous job? Sales/Account Management at Gerson Lehrman Group (GLG) in NYC
2. What is your favorite part about living in Colorado? It's only been 2ish months but so far I'm loving the weather (minus the 1 random hail storm, although was kind of cool but only because my car had no damage, #blessed). Also, all the outdoor-ness and dog-friendly patios/decks/roofs.
3. What do you like to do in your free time? Do you have any hobbies? Yoga!! Namaste y'all. Pretty dedicated to HBO shows (especially Game of Thrones + Veep).
4. What is one thing you would like your team to know about you? It's okay to call me by my last name (Darby, Darbs, etc).
5. What are you looking forward to the most about working with Baker? The wonderful people that are all super passionate about their jobs :)